Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Ras-bhara Rasagolla

Rasagolla-Rasgulla-Rasogolla-however you write it, if it sounds like one of these then it means this white-colored cheese-sweet immersed in sugar syrup. This is supposed to one of the authentic Oriya sweet that has made its way into the Bengali household and has since been termed as an Oriya-Bengali sweet. Wikipedia has a nice short history about Rasagolla here.

One of my earlier post about Chenna-Poda mentions the Pahala village. Apart from Chenna-poda, the Pahala village cooks are popular for their melt-in-the-mouth freshly made and warm rasagollas. If you are ever travelling between Bhubaneswar and Cuttack (in Orissa, India), don't miss the chance to taste this indigenous sweet.


A quick and easy recipe to make it at home is shown below.

Ingredients (Makes 25-30)

Whole milk - 1 gallon
Lemon juice of 1 lemon
Semolina - 2 tbsp

Sugar - 2.5 cup (syrup)
Water - 5 cup (syrup)
Cardamom - 3-4 (syrup)

Boil milk. Add lemon juice to split the milk and get chenna. Note - Don't let the chenna become hard boiling. Next, make it as dry as possible. Best option is to put it on a cheese-cloth and hang it free. Well, I could not come up with any innovative way to do this. So I just used a strainer and let it stand for a duration of 1-2 hrs. Mash the chenna and semolina with hand till it forms into a soft and smooth wet dough.

Take a pressure cooker. Add the water and sugar together. Mix them. Bring it to a boil. Crush the cardamom and add to this.

Once the sugar mixture boils, make small 2 inch diameter balls and drop them slowly into the syrup. If it holds itself in the syrup, you are good to go. Make similar sized balls with the rest of the chenna. Put the pressure cooker lid on. Cook it on high heat for 6 mins and on medium heat for 5 mins.

Enjoy the warm rasagollas! You can refrigerate them. When ready to eat, put it in the microwave for a few seconds and allure yourself :)

9 comments:

Mansi said...

Omg!! these look amazing! I've never been able to make these perfect, maybe I'll give it another try:)

great work!

Mansi said...

btw, I'm hosting a new event this month, and would be glad if you could participate:)

EC said...

Rasogolla -homemade..i guess nothing that beat that

Padmaja said...

The only sweet i can't get enough os is rasgulla Pragyan. I remember onces eating whole haldirams rasgulla in 2 days!! I was crazy for them. Never tried at home though!!Your look so juicy and delicious!!

DEEPA said...

Wow!!This is awesome ....I have to try it out ...I love them ......

vimmi said...

They look great. I make mine the same way. home made rasgullas tatste divine. Once they became hard and tasted like malai peda. not too bad haan

Pragyan said...

Hi Mansi, All the best! I was absolutely delighted on opening the pressure cooker and finding the rasagollas were still in one-piece :) Would love to participate in your event..will check it out soon.

Hi Easycrafts, Yep, absolutely nothing! :)

Hi Padmaja, My childhood best friend's name is Padmaja. Every time I receive a comment from you, feel nostalgic thinking of her :)Rasagulla's have that effect, na? My mom and uncle used to be like you :)

Hi Deepa, Thanks for the lovely comment, dear!

Hi Vimmi, Home made rasagulla definitely have a different taste, I agree. Wow, malai peda..I miss those! My SIL is making them these days..slurp, slurp! Will learn and post sometime soon. :)

Unknown said...

Pragyan Dear This was the only rasagulla that sounded authentic after my google hunting for Oriya rasagulla.I wanted one with suji thats what the vendor told me to use.I had seen it long back and I was planning to try them soon.Well can we do it without using Pressure cooker.

Pragyan said...

Hey Shibani, Glad I could help. Let me know how it went! :) Not too sure about doing it without the pressure cooker. I guess it can be done but it will take longer. Will let you know if I ever try it.