Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Rajma Galouti Kebab - Anniversary post!

Yes, yes and yes, this blog is one year old today. Time just flies. One day, I was contemplating whether I should start a food-related blog or not. I had been completely oblivious of the existence of this wonderful world of foodie blogs until I searched for a recipe and there was this pic-by-pic detailed explanation of the Aloo Curry recipe by dear Shilpa. Traveling from one link to the other, realized the maze of food blogs and the amazing camaraderie that everyone shares - a sisterhood of sort!

Started the blog one fine afternoon. It was a wonderful feeling on receiving my first few comments from Ashaji, Bee and Sandeepa. Wow - the very few people who inspired me to tread on this path never travelled before. Thank you, fellow-bloggers, for inspiring me to start off on this wonderful journey. I have learnt so much about cooking in the last year - so many techniques, so many cuisines, so many wonderful moments!

There are a few people who have been there in-person and encouraged me to go on. My hubby R has been a constant encouraging factor. Some of the best pics of my blog have been taken by him. Sir would wait patiently when I went about clicking the pics while he was just waiting to eat his dinner! A tradition, I am sure, most hubbies of foodie bloggers are aware of! :) I love it when you tell our friends about my blog - some pride there. If it was not for you and our love for good food, this blog would not have been here! Thank you, dear! You have never been so patient. :)

My parents were visiting me last year. They were so amazed at the response from visitors to the Odiya recipes particularly. Some recipes that they have every other day and never think of making when calling friends over. But those recipes have a uniqueness to it that is very specific to the Odiya cooking. I am always looking for such recipes. This year has been a eye-opener in terms of how certain things are only specific to Odiya cooking. As well as how some dishes are actually made in other cuisines but we have been thinking that it is only made in Odiya houses. Thanks, Maa and Baba, for everything!

Some of my friends have prodded me to go on blogging. Asking me when they will see the next post after "refreshing and visiting" patiently even when there was a dry spell (read "zero new post") for more than a month. You have helped me get back my blogging spirit many a few times! My college friends, Vrindu and Poonki, were the first few visitors to this blog. They are both in the opposite side of this world. Their statement that it feels like I am treating them with my posts has always been there in the back of my mind while posting. My friend Prajakta and my colleague Nathan have complained in a good-humored jovial manner when I stopped blogging due to work pressure. Thanks for being there, guys!

Thank you to Silu apa for the encouraging kind words. It was amazing getting to know that you read my posts. For background of others, it was my nephew's birthday and my aunt-in-law, mom and Silu apa got talking. She mentioned that there are a few Odiya cooking blogs and there was one from Pragyan from DC area. My loving aunt-in-law just jumped at the opportunity and she is like "This is her". That was a wonderful moment for me as a foodie blogger...I still smile thinking of that moment...my moment of joy and pride! :) We got talking. She is special for me and made me feel on cloud nine. Thank you to Silu apa and all the visitors to this dear blog of mine - an extension of me and my culinary journey! I look forward to many more years of blogging...miles and miles to go before I stop!


Now coming to the recipe, this one caught my attention when I was looking for some nice and different veggie dish to make when R's friend was visiting us. His wife is vegetarian. Since I was making Lamb Biryani for the three of us, wanted to make something equally exquisite for her as well. Found this post by our dear Tarla Dalal-ji (adding a "ji" at the end of someones name is a nice way of respecting someone in India) with some really unique recipes of veggie kebab and tikkis. Wanted to try them all that day, but time and stamina were not my best friend that day. Will definitely try the rest some other day...till then, I hope you enjoy this! Note - Galouti kebab is made with meat - this is a vegetarian version of the same.

Ingredients Makes about 30 kebabs

Soaked and pressure-cooked Rajma (kidney beans) - 2 cup
Paneer (cottage cheese) - 1 cup
Boiled, peeled and mashed Potatoes - 1 cup

Sliced onions - 2 medium
Finely chopped Ginger -3 tbsp
Finely chopped Green Chillies - 4-5 chopped or as per taste
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Curry powder - 1 tbsp
Garam Masala - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Chopped Coriander - 3 tbsp

Corn-flour - 1 cup

Canola oil - 1 tbsp + for deep frying


  • Heat the 1 tbsp canola oil in a kadhai on a medium flame and fry the onions till they are golden brown.
  • Add the ginger and green chillies and saute till the ginger is cooked.
  • Add the mashed Rajma-Potato-Paneer followed by Turmeric powder, Curry powder, Garam masala and salt. Cook till the mixture leaves the side of the utensil without sticking. Add the chopped Coriander leaves a minute or two before you stop cooking the mixture, while the mixture is still warm. You don't want to cook the mixture with the coriander leaves much else it loses its flavor.
  • Divide the mixture into equal portions and shape each portion into flat, round kebabs.
  • Make a thin batter of corn-flour. Dip the kebabs in this mixture before deep-frying. I tried doing them directly without the corn-flour as Tarlaji's recipe instructs but it kept breaking up.
  • Heat the oil for deep frying on a medium flame and deep-fry the kebabs till golden brown in colour from both sides.
  • Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot with sliced onions and green-chilli for added heat. :)

10 comments:

Dhivya said...

congtrats dear for ur aniiversary post..keep going..love rajma in any form...never made like this..will try

Shreya said...

awesome kebabs!never thought rajma is used in such dishes..:-)congrats on the anniversary

bee said...

congratulations!!!

Sharmila said...

Congrats on completing one whole year of food blogging! And this recipe is a boon .. my hubby is a veggie ... am sure he will like it.
Thanks for sharing it. :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on completing one year! The kebabs look delicious.

Unknown said...

A little something for you at my blog :)

Pragyan said...

Hi Dhivya: Same here. It was a unique recipe. Thank you.

Hi Shreya: Isn't that nice? Thanks for the wishes.

Hi Bee: Thanks, dear!

Hi Sharmila: Hope you get to try it. Have fun!

Hi Simran: Thanks for the wishes. Yes, they were quite delicious and distincy in taste. Thanks for the award. Will post about it shortly.

sra said...

Congrats, Pragyan

Unknown said...

Excellent recipe for vegetarians.Congratulation and wish u a happy anniversary.It does take time to catch the stream and once u are on the flow,there is no looking back.

Pragyan said...

Hi Sra: Thanks, dear!

Hi Shibani: Thank you so much =) I completely agree with you...very well said!